Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Think Twice When Walking By The Broom Closet Naked

It has come to my attention over the past year or so that there is a trend within the cleaning supplies television advertising world.

Anthropomorphism of cleaning products.

It caught my eye when Swiffer started promoting their products as “the new boyfriend”. The old brooms, mops and dusters were kicked to the curb. Sent packing in a taxi to sad theme music, mostly from the eighties. I found the commercials somewhat irritating, but for the most part I tune them out. I still to this day do not own a Swiffer. I enjoy my mop & bucket, thank you.

Now enter Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and two talking spray bottles who don’t know what a leather shoe is, and you have me lunging for the remote. I can’t take the way one bottle says “shoe” perfectly fine, then the next is unable to repeat his nozzley friend. Sadly, Mr. Clean didn’t have that up on their Youtube site, so I posted one in that series that is as equally as tragic.

Why are all my cleaning supplies coming to life? My broom doesn’t have feelings. If it did, I would think twice before using it to bang on my ceiling when Lady Leadfoot and her boyfriend, Mr. Stomps-a-lot wear their shoes on the hardwood floors.

Next on the roster is Dawn dish soap. They’ve recently introduced Dawn Hand Renewal with Olay Beauty. And guess who stars in the commercial!? A talking sponge, of course.

Alright, I get it. Talent costs are lower. Voice-overs are easier than a full-take with actors. But these commercials are making me long for Billy Mays. Someone! Quickly! Shout at me directly into the camera! Show me a demonstration! Tell me if I don’t act now… wait, I never bought Oxy-Clean or Sham-Wows either. I think I’ll stick to Method.  I love their Shiny Suds commercial (posted somewhere else on my blog).

“You have woken up the sleeping giant. I’ll have a pitch-off with you any time Vince.”

[Via http://damewallis.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment