Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Let's procrastinate

Good job!

What are you not doing? I’m not reading my french essays. Oh crap. I just remembered I have to do research on Madame de Stael too. Oh well, already started on this, and everybody knows to need to finish what you started, or should I say, you need to let Taylor finish what she started.

A few things:

1) I was BEYOND impressed by the second-by-second Twittivity happening during this year’s VMAs (the first VMAs I’ve ever watched; things get interesting when you decide to throw yourself into Journalism and Mass Media at the exact moment our country’s cultural representatives to the rest of the world also decide to throw themselves in front of the Stupid Bus.) LOOK AT THIS FRACKING TIME CHART. Not only is it SEXY as HELL; you also realize that not once was Taylor Swift the big head in the middle; it was constantly a Kanye-Gaga Showdown (a Kangadown, if you will).  Now I’m definitely not a proponent nor am I a practitioner of celebrity sports commentary, but the only thing I can think of more impressive than last Sunday’s beatdown was my 10-page Final Poli-Sci paper last semester that I wrote in three hours.  The only difference was that one kept college kids everywhere talking about how much b.s. we’re exposed to and read about, and the other one involved Kanye West and Lady Gaga. (Kidding, Professor Rossi.)

2)  I just found out how much it costs to market a movie. Say a movie’s total production costs amounted to about $100 million. $30 million would go to marketing it. You could buy an African country’s land and set up a dance studio for the severely claustrophobic for the price of getting the American public to talk about a movie (but then there would be the problem of getting the claustrophobic dancers onto the plane). I have no links to these stats, and since I’m procrastinating, I shall put this off for another day.

3) I had a bacon, egg and cheese on a buttery croissant this morning with some Sobe iced tea.  I had a couple of dollars left over in my meal swipe, so I bought some Naked and am currently attempting to down its totality before it hardens and becomes an extremely healthy gremlin. But it’s proving difficult.

4) I’m wearing a vintage Dior tie I found in my parents’ closet a long time ago.  I had no idea of any previous relation with the world of Biannual Bryant Parkology and am proud of them now not only for coming to this country discovering that cottage cheese and cut fruits DO go together, but also for birthing me and alllowing me to find it and steal it from them at the tender awkward age of Junior year high school, making it my first legit vintage item and starting the growing dynastic collection that is currently my closet.  Speaking of which, I’m looking for something yellow to complete my apparel spectrum. And some protein bars, cus brotha gotta build up (I did some stretches yesterday and tripped while standing still).

Actually, since I’m already on here, I’ll just insert my research into this post =D (and by research I/we all mean wiki-and-paste) WARNING IF YOU HATE FRENCH WRITERS, BAD NOTES AND HAVING KIDS WITH A MAN YOU WEREN’T ORIGINALLY CRAZY ABOUT, STOP READIN HERE.

Madame de Staël a.k.a. Anne Louise Germaine de Staël-Holstein

- Child of a Swiss statesman and famous mistress, who treated her like they do in the movies with the moms but the girl’s the good guy.

- Married a Swedish man with little direction and money, but that was fixed when the Swedish king made an ambassadorship deal.  Both parties got what they wanted, even though there was little affection between the two. She got status and he got money.

-  Decided to started blogging writing publicly under her own name, received much attention and renown for her comments on contemporary literature and Rousseau especially.

-  Husband died; they had like, four kids (WHUT).

- She continued to attempt the successful publication of her book de l’Allemagne, but Napoleon REALLY didn’t like her, and condemned her books and kicked her out of the country.

- She moved to Coppet where her father was from and had a sexy-time marriage with a younger man.

No comments:

Post a Comment